Ballygar Tidy Towns
The National Tidy Towns movement inspires voluntary effort in towns and villages across Ireland. The work of hundreds of Tidy Towns committees and thousands of volunteers not only improves the environment in which we live, but also helps to enrich community spirit.
Ballygar Tidy Towns was established in the early 1950’s. In the years that followed, Ballygar achieved great merit in the national competitions, notably throughout the 1960’s and 1970’s.
The current Tidy Towns committee was established in the summer of 2012. Our volunteers have undertaken a number of projects including the redevelopment of Ballygar Courthouse, which is now a centre for community endeavours. Projects also include the planting of over two hundred trees throughout the town, the construction of a polytunnel for overwintering plants and shrubs, the creation of an orchard and the design and construction of the Bandstand in the Market Square. In 2017, Ballygar was awarded the Galway County Tidy Towns Endeavour Award.
During 2020, our volunteers undertook phase one of a new parish garden at the side of St. Mary’s Church, phase two of this project will begin in spring 2021. Our volunteers also planted a number of pollinator friendly flowers, shrubs and trees throughout the town.
We are collaborating with Galway County Council in preparation for a major heritage audit throughout Ballygar and the surrounding area, this will continue in 2021. Our committee is also working closely with Coillte to improve the walkways and amenities in Aghrane Forest. Early in 2020, we advanced a major feasibility study to develop walkways throughout the local area. We also hope to complete a historical signage project in 2021, the first of such signs can be viewed beside the bandstand.
Aligned with the national Tidy Towns vision, the aspiration of Ballygar Tidy Towns is to strengthen community relations and build community spirit. We look forward to the continued support of the community as we embark on the next stage of our journey.